Re: [OM] how many megapixels here?

Subject: Re: [OM] how many megapixels here?
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 09:51:10 -0600

> Is an 11 Mpix sensor big enough with make a 48" wide image with more than
> enough fine detail to withstand careful up close scrutiny ?

If the edge-sharpness is there, the answer is a resounding yes!

All this talk about maintaining 300dpi for printing is a bunch of hogwash.
The eye is able to discern a line at 300dpi, but is unable to see anything
else down there.

To prove me wrong, do the following:

Make an image file in your editor of choice and create a pattern of 1 pixel
wide vertical black and white lines. Print this at 300dpi.  Can you see the
pattern?  Let's go one step further. Add horizontal black lines.  This
should give you 1 pixel white dots surrounded by 1 pixel of black.  Can you
see the dots?

Now, start scaling the images up to 200dpi on the printed page.  Then try
150dpi.  Even try 75dpi.

At 150dpi the human eye is easily able to discern the lines and dots
(provided that the scaling engine didn't blur things too much), but just
barely. If the edges of the lines remain sharp and not blurred, the detail
is maintained to the maximum of what the human eye is comfortably viewing.

Now comes the fun part.  I hope that the three prints are identical.
Randomize the prints and grab one and guess which one is at which
resolution.  Hand the 150dpi print to another anal-retentive photographer
and ask him/her what resolution it was printed at.

Folks, when tests like these are performed without bias, you'll find more
times than not that the lower-res image looks exceptionally sharp and highly
detailed.

AG