Re: [OM] GPS suggestions

Subject: Re: [OM] GPS suggestions
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2009 15:19:56 -0700
Frank van Lindert wrote:
> Moose,
>
> The ATP Photofinder seemts to have been replaced with a new model. This model
> has a docking station, which takes the memory cards - CF included.
> Disadvantage is that you always must carry the docking station with you (and
> charger?) as well now, which seems to make the software solution perhaps the
> better choice. OTOH I never take a computer along when traveling, so I have
> to consider pros and cons.

I've done a bit of browsing. It's not a mature product category, so
there are lots of differences between products and oddities in
individual products. One really good looking and priced one turns out in
user reviews to be electronically sound, but with weak software and
unacceptable physical reliability.

The one that looks best to me is the i-GotU GT-120. There a lots of
on-line reviews, all generally positive, and none with more than very
minor nits to pick. Here's a fairly good one.
<http://www.randomconnections.com/?p=2419>

Most important, it's very small, apparently rugged, as no one has any
complaints, excellent pure tracking performance, even in places like a
glove box, good battery life and solid PC software. The software will
run on Mac emulation, and one fellow reported a linux utility that will
simply download the data as a standard gtx file.

All its fancy software tricks for maps of trips with geolocated pictures
and its ability to geotag EXIF are for jpgs only. However, it will
export standard gtx files. I ran across free software somewhere,
sourceforge, perhaps, to use those files to do the EXIF tagging for RAW
files.

For about the same price, there's the AGL3080
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000WO6HJW/ref=ord_cart_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=A110MBRL8XO94E&v=glance>

I get the impression from reviews that it's not quite the performer, in
the pure GPS sense, that the i-gotU is, but not bad. There are also
issues I didn't look into with the Mac.

One advantage, it has a mass storage device interface, so no driver is
needed to simply access the data. the good/bad thing is the use of three
AAA batteries. Standard, simple and you can carry spares. Yet it means
is it larger than some others.

Moose