Re: [OM] GPS suggestions

Subject: Re: [OM] GPS suggestions
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2009 08:36:09 -0400
Tut-tut, Chris. Why should we settle for a non-Andrew when we only
have to wait a little while for the Real Thing? <wink>

As it so happens, I have a satnav device in my car. When I find a
pretty photo spot, I enter it into the device. Then, no matter where I
am, if it strikes me I should go there, I do it at the touch of a
button (while pulled off the road). Yes, It does smack a bit of
laziness, but it works nicely, and the voice I chose is "Australian
Karen," so being told where to go is a rather pleasant experience.
FWIW, I tried "British Emily" for a while, but she was a bit too
proper. Reminded me of the "Mind the Gap" lady on the London
Underground. (In fact, I suspect it's the same person.) She also had
the faintest undercurrent of someone who might show up with some
chains and whips if you caused her to "Recalculate" too often.

I've also programmed some of the nicer spots I found on Mt. Desert
Island a few weeks ago. When I go back up this week, I won't have to
fumble through all my maps to find them again. Nor will I have to sit
by the side of the road trying to figure which network of roads will
best get me there. Karen does all that for me at the speed of light.
(Talk about danger . . . have you ever seen someone trying to read a
map while driving? Phew!)

Okay, it's just kinda cool; I don't _really_ need it. But I had a nice
gift certificate to L.L. Bean from my aunt, and I already had all the
clothing I wanted, and the never-to-be-sufficiently-praised headlamp.
So I settled on the GPS.

--Bob Whitmire
www.bwp33.com