Re: [OM] GPS suggestions

Subject: Re: [OM] GPS suggestions
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 07 Jun 2009 17:18:05 -0700
Ken Norton wrote:
>> "Rotary"?  Is that what we call a roundabout, and what used to be known in
>> the USA as a traffic circle?
>>

> Also known as "insurance claims".

I said "rotary", as that seems to be the developing consensus word in
the US.

Mexico has the prettiest name for them that I know of, glorietta. But
they destroyed the prettiest ones in Mexico City to put in the system of
Ejes, one way thoroughfares. :-(

Traffic Circle is more what I grew up with. And I did indeed grow up
with one, Marin Circle, three blocks from the house I grew up in:

"Built in 1908, when Berkeley lobbied to be the State Capital, the Marin
Circle Area was planned and built as the entrance to the proposed
Capital building.
With its surrounding balustrades, piers and 22 terra cotta pots, the
Fountain Walk is one of Berkeley’s pedestrian avenues. "
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/MPhotos/BayArea/MarinCircle/BFountain.htm>

And it's a doozy, with nine streets converging, one a very tricky
intersection. Just for fun, there's also a street that goes under it in
a tunnel. Search Google maps for "The Cir, Berkeley, Alameda, California
94707"

Chuck has been around it, but was apparently in shock at the time, so
may not remember. :-)
I can't remember if Mike and Marnie were driven by it.

Moose