Re: [OM] GPS suggestions

Subject: Re: [OM] GPS suggestions
From: Donald <d1956m198d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 07 Jun 2009 14:22:08 +0100
Chris Barker wrote:
> Wotcha need a car GPS for?
>
> Read a map, prepare the journey, know where you're going and where
> you've been.  Car-mounted satnavs (for the use of the driver) are a
> dangerous distraction, almost as bad as a mobile phone, and smack of
> an unwillingness to plan your way.
>
> Caveats:
>
> 1.    Andrew Fildes is away and someone has to make his comments for him.
> 2.    This is aimed at all users of satnavs; I replied to Bill's email
> merely out of convenvience.
> 3.    It's even more dangerous to use an iPhone with satnav as it keeps
> switching the display to dim ...
>
> :-)
>
> Chris

I can mapread with the best of them, but wouldn't be without Jane
(TomTom). We bought her when we planned to tour Europe (cut short by
bereavement) including lots of places we'd never been.

Invaluable for finding particular Commonwealth WGC cemeteries in France.
You can download various collections of interesting places compiled by
enthusiasts and plan around them.

She twice led us astray, over a cobbled backroad in Belgium and almost
into a vineyard near Reims, but that's what my eyes are for. I don't
look at her, she talks to me. But she had no idea where Piers was...

;-)

D.

PS - Don't be so dogmatic!! I thought you'd be lost without your HUD.

--
I'm a Mac, but I'm happy with my PC.