Re: [OM] GPS suggestions

Subject: Re: [OM] GPS suggestions
From: Ian Nichols <ian.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 21:34:48 +0100
2009/6/8 Jon Mitchell <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Now, my grumble with my TomTom is that it always thinks it knows best -
> when often it doesn't.  I don't want it to work out my route for me.  I
> want to work out my own route before I leave, tell the TomTom exactly
> where I want to go and (importantly) which roads I want to take, then I
> just want it to tell me, when I get to a junction, roundabout, etc.,
> which way that is.  Can I make it do this ?  Is the Pope an atheist ?!
>
> All it seems to let me do is add 1 "via" point to the journey.  It
> really is painful.  I can see divorce proceedings in the future (for me
> and TomTom, not the wife !)

You can do that, at least with navigator version 5 and onwards, by
planning an itinerary.  You'll have to put a waypoint just before and
just after each junction, but it will work.  You'll also have to be
very careful to zoom right in when you place a waypoint because if
it's just off the road then you'll drive right past it and you will be
directed back to it.  Even when you're nearer to the next waypoint.
Only way around that is to stop and mark it as visited manually.

My big gripe with that method, though, is that you can't set a start
point, only waypoints and destination(s).  That means you can't let it
plan the route in advance so you can't check it in advance (hence the
need for waypoints near every junction just to be sure).

There's also a very handy program called Tyre, which I and a few
friends use to plan routes on a big screen beforehand.

http://www.tyre.tk/

> Jon
>
> PS:  Chris, I am disappointed.  What is this word "Watcha" that you use
> ?  ;-)
>

> --

Stand firm for what you believe in, until and unless logic and experience
prove you wrong.  Remember: when the emperor looks naked, the emperor *is*
naked, the truth and a lie are not "sort-of the same thing" and there is
no aspect, no facet, no moment of life that can't be improved with pizza.

-Daria Morgendorffer