Re: [OM] GPS suggestions

Subject: Re: [OM] GPS suggestions
From: Mike Lazzari <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 07 Jun 2009 10:32:51 -0700

> ...but a good clear display without the backlight running is desirable.
> ...Budget?  As close to that magical $100 mark as possible.  I'll gladly
> entertain used units too.
I think you should look at the Magellan and Garmin units. All the
handhelds have the basic functions you  require. One of the biggest
improvements in the newer models is in the display which you would lose
if going to an older used unit. I'd bump your budget to $200 to include
more options. One of the advantages/disadvantages of the handhelds is
their small size, including the screen. Another big disadvantage is the
mapping software. Generally expensive and of poor quality. Garmin is
especially singled out in this regard. Others have acted on this
opportunity and there are now hacks that allow using other than the
proprietary software. <http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/95/>  Maybe
your area will be covered.

Magellan has gone another route. They have partnered with Nat'l Geo and
you can upload real TOPO maps to some of their units. I bought a
Triton500 at Costco just for this function. The screen is really small
however as are the buttons. The maps take forever to upload but you get
a true USGS topo. Great for hiking but doesn't replace a real map.

I still have my old Magellan Meridian Color which I can mount in the
truck w/ adapter. It is handy for our road trips to the boonies of E OR
but severely limited by the crappy proprietary maps. Units like this can
be found relatively cheaply now and might be an option for you if you
can live with the limitations. Do not buy without the software CD.

Lately I have been trying out another option. I bought a little
bluetooth gps receiver that communicates with the laptop. Now I can do
anything the handhelds do and do it full screen while running the Nat'lG
TOPO! software. Obviously it isn't _that_ portable and a
copilot/navigator is recommended while driving. I'm not talking about
normal hwy driving here rather navigating the maze of unmarked BLM and
FS backroads. One dare not dare take his/her eyes off the road and
everything must be securely anchored to the vehicle and protected from
flying objects/beverages. This is where the copilot is essential. This
may be a good option for you. The unit itself is cheap, well under $100,
as the main functions are taken care of by the laptop. The TOPO!
software runs $80/state but isn't necessary. Any navigation software
like MS Streets & Trips works fine.

Mike