Re: [OM] GPS suggestions

Subject: Re: [OM] GPS suggestions
From: Frank van Lindert <Frank@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2009 17:50:06 +0200
Until now I never had a SatNav built into my car. The only one I have
(Garmin GPSMap 60CSx) is primarily intended for outdoor sports like
walking, cycling, fishing and parachute jumping, but it does a good
job in the car as well. Only thing I have to miss are those nice
Australian or Flemish female voices: the only sound it produces is a
harsh beep to draw attention to its on screen instructions.

I always plan my road journeys in the same way I do with my walks and
cycling trips: at the PC with Garmin MapSource software (or with
OziExplorer).
It lets you plan and prepare the trip, car trip included, precisely
the way you want it and exactly as you would do it with a paper map.
You mark as many places you want to visit or pass by, and the software
draws and records the routes in between. When satisfied you tranfer
the route to the actual SatNav device.

And indeed the only nuisance you have when 'playing' the recorded
route is the beeps when your attention is needed for negotiating
difficult roundabouts etcetera. So perhaps the Pope isn't the ultimate
believer after all?

Frank van Lindert
Utrecht NL