Re: [OM] GPS suggestions

Subject: Re: [OM] GPS suggestions
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 10:55:56 -0500

> You are a technical dude, so I dont have to explain to you what the
> limitations of the GPS system are.

LOL, I learned some of those limitations the hard way.  One of the most
important things to remember is that a GPS is no substitute to using your
brain.  Bill and Joel are probably still wondering how I got them into the
"Great Canoe Adventure" where our camera gear almost ended up at the bottom
of Lake Superior.

Add to this the obsolescence issues and lack of good mitigation plan and you
> will easily see why soon the systems performance will be degraded for the
> next few years...which I think it is sad.

I would like the ability to create and download maps from a computer into
the GPS unit. That would address a lot of the obsolescence issues.

Actually, my horrid little Lowrance unit, with nothing more than a gut
wrench map wasn't really that bad. I learned how to use it within its
limitations. But why I wouldn't go that route again is two fold:  First of
all, mine died and there is no support for it, secondly the position
acquisition was SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW. If the batteries were not fresh, it would
never acquire.  It would see the satellites, but wouldn't get a lock. Even
with fresh batteries, it would take at least two minutes to get even a
simple position, and then another two minutes to get it accurate.  Trees????
 Yah right.

AG