Re: [OM] GPS suggestions

Subject: Re: [OM] GPS suggestions
From: Mike Lazzari <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 10:09:01 -0700

> I need to look for a generic software only solution.
I found these two:

Simple and straight forward. <http://www.grazer.de/>

More features. <http://www.easygps.com/>

> About the memory, you do not need to be worried: ...
Indeed the newer units and those that accept a "large" capacity SD card
have plenty of memory.  On my older Meridian I only have a 128kb SD card
which is mostly maps and waypoints I have to be careful to delete old
tracks. I wish I could get rid of the so-called POI data which is of no
use to me.  I see from responses that some on the list find this data
useful but for me it just consumes memory. I wish there was an option in
the firmware to delete it. At least I was able to add a marine POI
database which consists of NavAids. Unfortunately this old device is no
longer supported with firmware updates. Too bad as it is a very capable
unit whose full utility is only limited by software. I guess I better
throw it away and go buy this week's _new, improved_ model. ;-)

Mike