Re: [OM] Its a tool not just Re: An object of beauty

Subject: Re: [OM] Its a tool not just Re: An object of beauty
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 09:55:44 -0500
Moose wrote:

> Well, at least you'd be safe in Berkeley. I did handle a list member's
> OM-3Ti in Berkeley, very carefully. Then I very politely handed it back
> to him.

LOL, just like I do with other people's E-3s.  I'd rather take the Amish
approach--you never miss that which you never have had.

> I would say it is the best looking OM ever and one of the handsomest
> cameras I've ever seen. The finish is unique and beautiful.

True. And specifically, I've found the sound of the camera to be different
in sound.  The OM-1 doesn't have that same tight "thunk" sound and some of
the other models almost sound tinny or rattletrappy in comparison. The
OM-3Ti just goes "thunk" with that cool "Bzzt" sound of the mechanical
shutter.

> On the other hand, I simply have no need for anything it offers beyond
> the OM-1 and OM-4.

This has been the general concensus on this camera from the moment it was
created. I definitely was among the parade of the great unwashed in echoing
this chorus. But as stated several times recently, had I really known then
what I know now, I would have skimped and saved to get it.  But being a
tightwad I couldn't justify it based on specifications. I believe that there
is a very tight comparison between the OM-3Ti and a Leica M6.  Of course,
having not owned an M6, I could be under/overestimating the Leica gestalt.

But to your point, Moose, I ask this:  What does "need" have to do with it?

AG