Re: [OM] (OT) A few shots from Escape to Florida

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) A few shots from Escape to Florida
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2009 09:12:46 -0400
On Apr 12, 2009, at 8:48 AM, Chris Barker wrote:

> Bob
>
> I think you mean "... on our Marvellous Macs ..." :-)

Actually, yes, that's exactly what I meant. But I didn't want to stir
up trouble. Apparently there also is some feature in Internet Explorer
that runs afoul of my site from time to time if I size the pictures
too big. Explorer either moves them down on the page so far you can't
find them, or doesn't show them at all. And because most of my
customers get their computers at Best Buy and don't have a clue about
calibration and resolution, I try to keep it simple. But I may opt in
the future to try different software than RapidWeaver, one that's more
accommodating to our, ah, Windoze friends. <wink>

> We spent many a happy weekend on the beach at Fort De Soto when I was
> stationed at MacDill AFB.  It was only around 40 minutes' drive from
> our condo on Bayshore Boulevard (the main eastern road from Tampa down
> to the base) and it was one of the ways a couple of years in Florida
> was near-Paradise for our 2 sons, who were 4 and 7 at the time.

So you know the area. Or did, depending on when you were there. It's
developed to the max now. My friend, with whom I served in Vietnam,
said that Pinellas County has about one, maybe two empty lots left.
His firm builds commercial buildings, and he says around Tampa it's
either renovation or demolition and new construction. Of course with
the economy in the tank right now, it's all small renovation jobs. I
don't think I'd like to live there, what with it being so built up,
but it's fun to visit. My wildlife shots were all taken at little
preserves in the midst of commercial parks. Lots of boardwalks and
walkways for folks to stroll at lunch and on breaks. My friend and I
discovered that walking them early in the morning with tons of camera
equipment hanging around our necks was a good way to strike up
conversation.

> Thanks for showing it again, Bob.  I'd like to return and visit the
> places again, but it wouldn't be the same without 2 little boys who
> had such fun.

My pleasure. FWIW, there are some really good real estate deals in
Florida right now. <g> The pond with the gator was fronted on one side
by three large buildings, each with three or four three-floor
townhouses, _none_ of which have sold. The bank now owns the
buildings, and I suspect a nice townhouse could be had for a song. But
then you wouldn't have neighbors and you'd have to worry about long-
term security of the buildings and grounds. But the location is
topnotch, in "unincorporated" Clearwater, right across the bridge from
Tampa proper.

--Bob