Re: [OM] (OT) A few shots from Escape to Florida

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) A few shots from Escape to Florida
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2009 09:00:24 -0400
On Apr 12, 2009, at 8:37 AM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:

> Hey, and here I thought when you went to Florida you went to Vero
> Beach
> (east coast).

My aunt has a condo in Jupiter. We usually go over for a couple of
days, unless we stay at her condo, then we go to Tampa Bay for a
couple of days. <g> I think I know about where your new digs are, and
if we're down in March or earlier I'll definitely give you a shout. As
I recall from your earlier posts, you would already have been gone
when we got there this year.

> I haven't posted any shots from there yet but discovered that Myakka
> River State Park (about 45 minutes south of Palmetto) is a great place
> for Florida landscapes.

I know exactly where that is. Just drove past it twice. I don't know
how Florida works, but in Maine when state parks say they're closed,
they mean to vehicles. I usually park near the gate and walk in for
sunrise. Don't know if that would work at Myakka or not--and the looks
of the, ah, "work farm" on the other side of Arcadia does not make me
too up for challenging rules. <g> Sometimes a brief conference with
park officials will get you the official wink for off-hours
visitation. I usually use the "enthusiastic photo nerd" mode, where I
go on at length about the potential of the place and most park
officials melt. Of course I'm not really acting because I generally
believe what I'm saying (and have come to accept that I am, in fact, a
photo nerd), otherwise I wouldn't be there in the first place.

> I also discovered a great Florida landscape spot with pond and birds
> just a couple miles away from my new digs.  Unfortunately, it was the
> day before I left and I wasn't carrying a camera.  But it's along a
> little traveled public roadway with no hours restrictions.

Those usually are the best spots of all.

--Bob Whitmire
www.bwp33.com