Re: [OM] Risking the wrath of SWMBO

Subject: Re: [OM] Risking the wrath of SWMBO
From: Dawid Loubser <dawidl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 09:39:03 +0200
When it comes to pinhole cameras, you cannot make the same comparison
as for
lens-based cameras, in my opinion.

For example, the lenses on a Mamiya RB67 or Mamiya 7 are generally so
much
better than that of a typical large-format camera, not to mention
faster,
that for all practical purposes you could get an almost equivalent
image by
using finer-grained film, and then, yes, the cameras are a lot more
portable.

However, with a pinhole camera, format size makes a HUGE difference
because you
have the same crappy non-lens in front of the film or paper.

I would definitely and strongly recommend, go 4x5in over 6x6cm. You
could
even go larger (8x10) and use paper instead of film. I always feel
film is a bit of
a waste in a pinhole camera, because it goes against the ethic of the
unique simplicity
and once-off print you achieve from your long exposure, and secondly
because the
film's resolution is wasted in anyway - paper is more than good
enough. If you want copies,
scan the print and make them digitally...

Just my 2c (without having read all of the other replies to your
topic...)

Dawid