Re: [OM] My New Year's Eve with a 5D MkII

Subject: Re: [OM] My New Year's Eve with a 5D MkII
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 11:58:07 -0600
Chuck,
Yes, my first attempt at a reply misfired (laptops in the dark ...)

Our cousin who was so impressed with the E-3's IS feature, if you
recall my original narrative, has been waiting for used 5D bodies to
fall below $1K, but they apparently continue to hold their value.  I
think if Canaan had used toggle switches that the faithful would still
swear by them because of the perceived value of consistency from one
model to the next.  More power to them.  There is a real benefit to
consistency in a system as extensive as Canaan's I'll wager.

I certainly can't evaluate how much the big LCD or LV or ISO 6400 or
24 MP is worth to current 5D users.  It wouldn't be worth it me, I
don't think.  The original 5D is still the break-through camera of
sorts to my inexperienced mind.

In the meantime, let a kajillion flowers bloom.  My close encounter
with the 5D MkII doesn't lessen my attachment to the E-system, much as
it delights me to see our relative's enjoyment of it.  If I get some
sort of 5D someday, I hope to exploit your experiences with the
third-party lenses. :)

Joel W.