Re: [OM] [OT] Electrical Part Help

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Electrical Part Help
From: Frank van Lindert <Frank@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 20:28:17 +0100
In that case, like Ian pointed out, the rheostat resistance to be
expected is very low. And hence difficult to measure...

But if your rheostat (like mine) is almost a copy of the one in
Wikipedia, then perhaps yours will have its value printed on the front
too, like mine has.

You will only know for certain when you remove the adjusting knob
(usually one or two small screws which fasten it to the axis of the
rheostat) and then unscrew the one nut on that axis keeping the
rheostat in place. Very straightforward, and you can probably do it
without desoldering the wires. Knowing is better than guessing ;-)

And then you can go here
http://www.surplussales.com/potentiometers/rheostats/PotsRheost-1.html
or one of the many other place where you find high power
potentiometers.

Good luck, Frank.