Re: [OM] [OT] Electrical Part Help

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Electrical Part Help
From: Frank van Lindert <Frank@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 16:34:12 +0100
Hi Moose,

I have seen your arithmetics, and it makes sense (but the figures need
adapting for the watt/volt change, I suspect, because 6 watt is a
_very_ small power for a microscope light... 20-50W is a normal
wattage for these lights).

But the whole thing is largely dependant on the fact that the rheostat
has been built in the transformers secondary coil, directly in series
with the light (unless it is part of more advanced electronics, of
course). Am I right here?

I have built a contraption like this about twenty years ago, and it is
still working properly. I have tried it a few minutes ago... It was
meant for the Olympus LSD with 6V 30W bulb, befor I got my hands on
one of the original Olympus variable transformers TE.

Only a few parts were used: transformer, on/off switch, rheostat and
fuse.
Important thing here is, that I wired the rheostat (475 ohm) in series
with the primary coil of the transformer, i.e. the 220 volt mains one.
The secondary coil is 8V, to which the 6V lightbulb is attached
without further adjusting circuitry. The rheostat is a current limiter
here, if I am not mistaken.

I do not remember why I did this; probably I just copied the
electroniscs circuitry of an existing unit. The current in the primary
coil is much lower than in the secondary one, which is perhaps the
reason for doing it this way. As it is the rheostat is already fairly
heavy; about two inches in diameter and thickness and with the wire
wound on a porcelain donut shape core, so it may get rather hot. There
is no power or amp value on the body, just the resistance (475 ohm).

Hope this little snap of information will help you further, Charlie.

Frank van Lindert
Utrecht NL.