[OM] Re: TOPE 36 call for entries, and extended shooting period

Subject: [OM] Re: TOPE 36 call for entries, and extended shooting period
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2008 15:00:20 -0500
I think I took my last night shot (at least that I can remember) in
1964.  It was burning gasoline spilling over the edge of the bridge on
Interstate 35 as it passes through the stockyards on the south side of
San Antonio, Texas.  The burning gas was emanating from a burning
gasoline tanker which had struck a car on the bridge.  It was hard to
ignore so I took the camera  (a Petri 7s loaded with Kodachrome 64)

The scene was pretty brightly lit and I suspect that I was able to get a
decent exposure at about 1/60th second at f/2.8.

So, what is all this leading up to.  I haven't a clue how to expose a
night shot... at least one where it's really night, no sky light
remaining.  I have no giga-joule flash units.  If I take an OM-4 out on
a night shooting task where the only light is tail lights, head lights,
building interior lights, etc. will the automode on the OM-4 be able to
figure that out?  Will I get a night scene after a second or two or will
I get a 30 second exposure that looks close to a daylight shot?

Thanks OM shooters
Chuck Norcutt