[OM] E-420 vs 520...is IS worthwhile?

Subject: [OM] E-420 vs 520...is IS worthwhile?
From: Rob Harrison <robhar54@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 12:33:53 -0700
So I mentioned I "had" to buy an E-420 from Circuit City (yuk!) since
I left the only camera I'd brought with me on my vacation in the
overhead compartment of the plane. I'm really enjoying this camera!
I'd been pining after a D-300, but a buddy of mine had one at dinner
last night, and putting it side by side with the E-420 it seemed
gargantuan. And I have determined, in the short time I've been playing
with the 420, that any limitation on image quality is going to be more
my own doing than the camera's. The 14-42 is a little short for
photographing my son at play without making him self-conscious. I'm
thinking I'll pick up a 18-180, and then a 9-18 in September, for the
ultimate tiny travel kit. Maybe once I sell my Leica system I'll move
into an E-3, 7-14, 12-60 & 50-200...but for now this will be perfectly
adequate.

BUT:

  I've got a 14-day window to return the 420. I'd pay a 15% restocking
fee (about $75). I'm pondering doing that and getting a 520 from
Adorama or B&H, to get image stabilization for the long end of the
18-180.

As far as I can tell IS is the only real advantage of the e-520.
(Besides longer battery life and a couple extra direct buttons.) Oh
esteemed listers, is it worth it? I suspect so, but I'm wondering if
you all can back it up with experience.

Thanks.

Rob in Seattle