[OM] Re: 420 and 25/2.8

Subject: [OM] Re: 420 and 25/2.8
From: <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 21:17:29 -0400
Cc: Wayne Harridge <wayneharridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  If the manufacturers can produce the same end result with a combination of
cheap manufacturing plus a bit of software at a fraction of the cost of the
"ultimate lens quality" then why not ?  Isn't it the final result that's
important ?

Of course, it's just where the line is drawn. We are at a point where we will
never see the "digital" equivilent of my 21/2 or 28/2, as it's too difficult to
design a cheap example with software solutions.

It's like the idea that you don't need filters 'cause you can fix it in post.

My first real photo job was for a commercial studio. The owner/photographer was
often called on to talk at high school career days. When asked for his
deffinition of a good photographer, he said that it was "someone that could fix
his mistakes in the darkroom." i saw the results of that too often.

Bill Pearce, who thinks that what we need is some good fast primes.