[OM] Re: 420 and 25/2.8

Subject: [OM] Re: 420 and 25/2.8
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 06:21:13 -0400
Does anyone here know what the "system performance" is?  When we correct
distortion with software we pay a price in resolution from having
expanded some pixel locations.  Of course, we pay the same sort of price
in using a shift lens which probably does not have the same resolution
at far (shifted) edge as in the center.  Correcting CA involves shifting
pixel positions based on color and angle from center.  Just like
distortion correction, moving a pixel requires something else be
invented to fill the space previously occupied by the moved pixel.
What's the actual effect?  Can the software do as well as a moderately
expensive lens? (I don't include no-holds-barred Leicas here)

Chuck Norcutt