[OM] Re: 420 and 25/2.8

Subject: [OM] Re: 420 and 25/2.8
From: "Wayne Harridge" <wayneharridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 21:57:22 +1000
> When
> we correct
> distortion with software we pay a price in resolution from having
> expanded some pixel locations.  Of course, we pay the same
> sort of price
> in using a shift lens which probably does not have the same
> resolution
> at far (shifted) edge as in the center.

Did you mean "perspective" correction here ?

Converging verticals isn't a lens distortion, just a result of geometry when
you tilt the camera.

While correction of linear distortion will probably be achieved by similar
means (stretching/shrinking some areas of the image) the loss of image
quality is likely to be much less than that introduced when correcting
perspective when you tilt the camera by a few degrees.

...Wayne