[OM] Re: 420 and 25/2.8

Subject: [OM] Re: 420 and 25/2.8
From: Wayne Harridge <wayneharridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 14:12:20 +1000

> bs.pearce@xxxxxxx wrote:
>

> I thini that we have gone from making the best lens possible  to making the
> software that
> can fix the lens designers mistakes. That's just plain wrong.

For the camera maker it's all a matter of optimizing profit.

There is no doubt that lenses with superb performance can be designed and built
- at a cost.
Some people may not worry about the cost, others want the best system
performance at the lowest cost.  If the manufacturers can produce the same end
result with a combination of cheap manufacturing plus a bit of software at a
fraction of the cost of the "ultimate lens quality" then why not ?  Isn't it
the final result that's important ?

...Wayne

Wayne Harridge

http://lrh.structuregraphs.com