[OM] Re: sRGB vs Adobe RGB (was Yum Yum)

Subject: [OM] Re: sRGB vs Adobe RGB (was Yum Yum)
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 19:33:24 -0500
Caution:  long, nerdy response

Your question caused me to go back and re-read some more from "Real
World Color Management" and specifically on Adobe RGB.  The discussion
is from Chapter 10 titled Color Management Workflow and in a section
that discusses input, editing and output color spaces and the
distinction between what's called early and late binding.

In early binding the input, editing and output spaces are the same.
That's the case for sRGB as input and editing space when we know we're
going to a lab or other output process that wants only sRGB.  The
process is simplified and mistakes are reduced such as the case of your
240 prints made to the wrong color space.

Adobe RGB is described as an editing space and designed to be used with
late binding... meaning that the image is converted to, edited and then
kept in the Adobe RGB space until such time as it's necessary to convert
to an output space for screen or print.  The reason for this is that
Adobe RGB has a larger gamut.  Not specifically discussed here but I
believe the reason it's called an editing space is that the larger color
gamut makes it less likely to lose color info to arithmetic
manipulations when we edit just as Moose suggests converting 8 bit
images to 16 bit during editing even though they're going out as 8 bit
in the end.

But nothing is ever completely simple.  The discussion of Adobe RGB as a
device-independent RGB space says:

"One solution, embodied in Adobe Systems' applications but usable by
others, is to use a device-independent, gray-balanced, perceptually
uniform space such as Adobe RGB (1998) for editing.  This approach has
proven sufficiently popular to spawn a plethora of editing spaces -
often named for their developers - and debating the merits of each is
decidedly outside the scope of this book.  Instead, we'll simply say
that the main criterion in choosing an editing space is its gamut.

Bigger isn't necessarily better.  The trade-off is between finding an
editing space that won't clip colors in either your capture or your
output, and finding an editing space that doesn't waste huge numbers of
bits describing colors that you can't capture, display, print, or in
some cases, even see.  In practice, it's pretty much impossible to find
a space that contains all your colors but doesn't waste bits, so you
simply have to pick the best trade-off for your particular purposes."

Now a final point on sRGB for wedding and event photographers as
championed by Will Crockett (who is also a wedding photographer as well
as a stump speaker).  No discussion of Crockett is complete without
saying that he is also a strong proponent of wedding photographers
shooting only in JPEG.  As a matter of efficient and profitable work
flow (weddings involve hundreds or even thousands of images) the
photographer should make extreme efforts to get the exposure and white
balance correct within a small fraction such that adjustments to same
are not necessary and JPEG's contain all that's required for color
content and print.  Whether this is doable or desirable is a separate
discussion but serves to illustrate the sRGB decision which is based
mostly on a simplified work flow through to a lab generated print. YMMV.

Chuck Norcutt