[OM] Re: Could I have some hands on opinions of E-3 compared to E-330 an

Subject: [OM] Re: Could I have some hands on opinions of E-3 compared to E-330 and E-1
From: Paul Shields <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2007 02:30:26 +0000
As a current owner of the E-3 and E-1, and an ex owner of the E-330 my
thoughts are thus:

E-3:
+ Excellent performance, both in image processing and especially in
AF. It feels like a souped up E-1.
+ Noise control is as good as it gets for the 4:3rds format - though
still not going to trouble 5D/D3 shooters much
+ Build is good. Not E-1 standard by any means, but as good as any
body in that price range
+ Adjustable LCD maximises the LV capability
+ Great viewfinder. At least as good as the E-1.

- Seems like a little too much image processing to me (JPEGS are
overly 'bitty' by default)
- I much preferred the E-1 handling and button/dial layout, not to
mention build quality
- Noise control is good, but is it any better than an E-1 image that's
had NR applied in post?

E-1:
+ Excellent handling, though a bit sluggish
+ Still the best JPEG colours out of the camera in my opinion

- Slow image processing
- relatively noisy - but much harder to notice the difference when
comparing prints

E-330:
+ In some ways I still prefer the simple articulated LCD on the E-330.
Having the LCD directly under the viewfinder feels more natural than
swung out to the side as with the E-3
+ The perfect macro DSLR - having Liveview A and B combined is great
for this type of shooting
+ cute and compact!
+ an absolute bargain these days

- Poor optical viewfinder
- Build quality not up to the E-3 and especially the E-1

I've not really tested dynamic range between the cameras, but have
been happy enough when shooting RAW (the jury's still out for me with
regards to JPEG). I have found it to over expose slightly when using
the default metering, but this is probably a learning curve with the
new camera as much as anything else.

In summary I'm very happy with the E-3 (especially as Olympus shipped
me a free HLD-4 grip and backpack due to their current promotion :)).
It works as a high performance DSLR much better than the E-1 or E-3,
but does lack some of the finer qualities found in the E-1. AF speed
with the 12-60 (or indeed any ZD lens) is a revelation compared to the
E-1.

I've done a few blog entries recently, one of which compares the E-1
(and E-400) to the E-3 in terms of noise reduction (and resolution too
I guess...). Take a look at the link below for more info.

http://photocamel.com/forum/blogs/paul-shields/

Paul