[OM] Re: Could I have some hands on opinions of E-3 compared to E-330 an

Subject: [OM] Re: Could I have some hands on opinions of E-3 compared to E-330 and E-1
From: Ton Maas <tonmaas@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2007 13:13:53 +0100
Thanks for that, Paul. Just a few remarks and questions...

>E-3:
>+ Excellent performance, both in image processing and especially in
>AF. It feels like a souped up E-1.
>+ Noise control is as good as it gets for the 4:3rds format - though
>still not going to trouble 5D/D3 shooters much
>+ Build is good. Not E-1 standard by any means, but as good as any
>body in that price range

Can you provide some arguments for this statement? To me the E-3
feels just as solid as the E-1.

>+ Adjustable LCD maximises the LV capability
>+ Great viewfinder. At least as good as the E-1.

I would say: even better!

>- Seems like a little too much image processing to me (JPEGS are
>overly 'bitty' by default)

Did you cure this and if yes, how? I switched off NR and have been
playing a little with sharpness and contrast, but nothing conclusive
yet.

>- I much preferred the E-1 handling and button/dial layout, not to
>mention build quality

Isn't that a matter of getting used to? My hands already feel quite
at home with most of the buttons I frequently use. My first action
(apart from killing NR) was "programming" the dials to EV-correction
(front)  and P-shift (back).

>- Noise control is good, but is it any better than an E-1 image that's
>had NR applied in post?

This is indeed debatable. Even the noisiest JPEGS from the E-1 could
be treated quite effectively with Noise Ninja.

>E-1:
>+ Excellent handling, though a bit sluggish
>+ Still the best JPEG colours out of the camera in my opinion

Maybe true, but I still prefer the output from the 3 to that of my wife's 400.

>I've not really tested dynamic range between the cameras, but have
>been happy enough when shooting RAW (the jury's still out for me with
>regards to JPEG). I have found it to over expose slightly when using
>the default metering, but this is probably a learning curve with the
>new camera as much as anything else.

IMO that's another improvement from the E-1: under-exposure as
(almost) standard no longer seems necessary. In most cases the E-3's
reading is spot on!

>In summary I'm very happy with the E-3 (especially as Olympus shipped
>me a free HLD-4 grip and backpack due to their current promotion :)).

Still waiting for mine :-(

Ton