[OM] Re: E-3 User Comments

Subject: [OM] Re: E-3 User Comments
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2007 09:05:58 -0600
Dan Mitchell wrote:
> Garth Wood wrote:
>> Well, I've done something with the E-3 that I never did with the E-1;
>> put my money down and pre-ordered one from the local pro shop.  They
>> *claim* that the bodies will be arriving sometime next week.  Landed
>> cost is $1,750.00 CDN plus tax, which for once is quite competitive with
>> places like B&H after you factor in the shipping and Canada Customs'
>
>   Is that The Camera Store?

That would indeed be The Camera Store.  Ask for Chris (he da man).

> If that's what they're asking, I may well do
> the same -- that's a relatively reasonable markup compared to the "real"
> price (let's see, with exchange rates what they are, from B&H or
> somewhere, it'd be only cdn$1589, and shipping + UPS 'clearance' fees
> make it much of a muchness overall.

And the prices are even closer to parity if you use a real shipper like
FedEx.  ;-)

Normally I'm the last guy to defend camera stores in Canada, whom I
typically regard as modern-day pirates, but in the case of the E-3, Oly
may have been caught with their pants down due to the rapid rise of the
Canadian dollar against the U.S. dollar -- the landed price to retailers
may have been set several months ago, and since then, the CanuckBuck has
risen around 10% relative to the U.S. buck.  In general, retailers hate
to lose money on every single unit of a brand-new item they're just
starting to sell.  I'm just guessing, of course.

> (now, lenses are still another
> thing, especially with the rebate; see 'mail forwarding' thread --
> there's a $100 rebate on E-3 bodies, though that's also "US only",
> irritatingly) ).

I got a coupon for a $100.00 rebate on the E-3 in the mail info packet I
described here several weeks ago.  I'm assuming they wouldn't have sent
it to me unless I could actually use it...  As for the lenses, I agree,
they do generally seem to be out-of-line with U.S. pricing, even before
the rapid rise of the CanuckBuck (though I would caution against calling
B&H's prices "standard" retail pricing -- they are frequently the most
aggressive discounters in the North American market, thank God).  It
also depends on the rarity of the lens -- the 7-14 is an exceptional
example of how out-of-whack Canadian retail and U.S. discount prices can
be (right now, you're leaving over $500.00 CDN on the table if you buy
the 7-14 locally in Calgary instead of from a place like B&H).  More
standard, high-production lenses seem to be much closer in price.

>   According to these:
>
> http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1022&message=25461006
> http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1022&message=25463219
>
>   existing DZ lenses have faster AF with the E-3, which would be very
> nice if so.

So I've also heard, and I'm looking forward to getting my hands on an
E-3 body to test 'em.

Garth