[OM] Re: E-3 User Comments

Subject: [OM] Re: E-3 User Comments
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2007 23:30:50 -0700
Daniel Sepke wrote:
> It is potentially a serious error of design for me. I think hardware
> controls are more useful that aoft controls and multi function controls
> that change purpose based on exposure mode are just daft to me. Of course
> the upside is that my E-3 will spend all the time MF mode because I can't
> flip a quick switch with one hand rather than the two that will now be
> necessary.

Odd how little design decisions can make a big difference. Canyon put
the switch on the lens, so it can never go "software". More important,
it gives some design flexibility for lenses. Although most opt for a
switch of the standard design in the standard place, a few do something
different. The Tamron 90/2.8 macro, and I believe some others, uses
push-pull of the focusing ring. It is just natural and perfect with
macro. If the AF nails focus, shoot, otherwise, grab the focusing ring,
pull back a click, focus and shoot.

But then, Oly swears up and down that the E-3 now has the fastest focus
of all. Early reports seem to indicate that AF, one of the E-1's weak
points (and a major reason I didn't end up with one), has vastly improved.

Moose