[OM] Re: In-camera BW vs. creating a BW image during PP

Subject: [OM] Re: In-camera BW vs. creating a BW image during PP
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2007 00:33:13 -0700
The BW mode in the camera is a very simple conversion. It is fine for
giving you an idea on the LCD of what it will look like, but it is
essentially just removing the color which is the first example they
show you in Photoshop and then say, "But you don't really want to do
it that way."  Almost anyone one who shoots black and white film uses
color filters to get the balance of gray tones they want in their
photos. I suppose you could get color filters and use them on your
digital camera, but most people simply adjust the filtration in post
processing to get the effect they want. It is easier to get what you
want and avoids the problem of digital noise caused by reduced light
to the sensor. Some of those deep red lens filters used by Ansel
Adams are very dense.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA