[OM] Re: Switching between MF/AF. Was, E-3 User Comments

Subject: [OM] Re: Switching between MF/AF. Was, E-3 User Comments
From: Marc Lawrence <montsnmags@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2007 09:02:41 +1000
AG Schnozz wrote:
> So, with Canon lenses, how do you do AF+MF?  Do you have to disengage
> the AF position?

Any of the lenses with Ring USM do FTMF (Full Time Manual Focus)...or,
at least, that's what it use to be, with the exception of the 50/1.4,
which didn't have Ring USM but could FTMF, and the cheap 50/1.8, which
theoretically didn't but did if you were willing to risk busting the
gears (the gears give a nice "resistance" feel though. ;-). Note, I
don't recommend the latter, for obvious reasons.

Of the four Canon Ring USM lenses I have, two of them ("consumer") feel
a bit...loose in their manual focussing. It's fine, but not remotely
close to manually focussing my Zuiko 50/1.4 in feel. Also, they have
narrow focussing rings. The 100/2.8 USM Macro has a pretty good feel
about its manual focus, as you would hope in a macro lens. However, the
"L"-series 70-200/2.8 IS lens feels very satisfactory in regard to
manual focussing, and has a decent focussing ring. The IS helps as well
when your arms start to shake after holding it for a while. <g>

Cheers,
Marc
Noosa Heads, Oz