[OM] Re: OT Notes on Upgrading - II - Disks - and a question

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Notes on Upgrading - II - Disks - and a question
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2007 11:32:09 -0700
Jeff Keller wrote:
> ? ... ...
>
> My Dell machine has what appear to be free eSATA headers but I
> haven't tried connecting one of the existing drives to them to make
> sure they work.
I assume you mean here SATA, not eSATA. The two are, for whatever
reason, different.
> (I have two DVD/CD drives, a single HD, and I think a
> 3.5 floppy). I think there were at least two more SATA headers.
>
> The Dell literature mentions cables as a common source of interference
> with cooling. I don't know if Moose's stack of drives would run cooled
> if the cables were re-routed. The Dell machines have numerous clips to
> hold the cables in specific locations. The SATA cables are tiny
> compared to the old ribbon cables, but. Dell put noticeable thought
> into cable placement and keeping them positioned in the desired
> location.

As you say, the SATA cables are MUCH better than EIDE cables in their
potential effect on air flow. Systemax also had cable routing carefully
done. I have added several cables to the mix - and taken care how I
route them so they are out of the route from HDs to case fan.

Moose