[OM] Re: OT Notes on Upgrading - II - Disks - and a question

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Notes on Upgrading - II - Disks - and a question
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2007 15:13:35 -0700
Tom Scales wrote:
> Specs aren't everything.  The Seagate 750GB drives are the fastest I own.
> Their density allows for a performance beyond seek times.  The throughput is
> amazing.

Perhaps you should download HDTune, run a benchmark and send to their
database. http://www.hdtune.com/ Had there been one with much better
performance than the 500 gb drives when I was researching, I might well
have bought that.

There are no benchmarks there yet for 750 gb disks. I was looking at 500
gb and WD is a slightly better performer overall than the Seagate @ 500
gb, with much more even performance, better average and max rates and a
much higher lowest transfer rate. Benchmark seek time is little
different, with the WD only about 5% faster.

The Seagate burst rate is much higher and the WD CPU usage is much
lower, but I have no idea what practical effects these differences might
make in usage.

Moose