[OM] OT Notes on Upgrading - III- Compatibility

Subject: [OM] OT Notes on Upgrading - III- Compatibility
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2007 04:22:46 -0700
Hardware:

- Epson 1270 - installed automatically when connected, Vista has a
driver. It looks quite different than what I'm used to, but seems to
have all the options.

- Epson R1800 - downloaded driver from the Epson site. It looks like the
one for XP.

- HP LaserJet 1000 - HP page on Vista compatibility says there isn't a
driver yet, but it's on the way. Doesn't seem to to be a way to get it
to work yet.

- Canon 5000F scanner - Downloaded a Vista driver a few days ago which
works fine, but the auto software to react to the buttons on the front
wasn't available. Checked again today and it was there. Haven't tried it
yet, don't use it myself, but Carol Anne does.

- Canon 9950F scanner - I don't have one, but have been keeping an eye
out. I notice it isn't on the list of scanners supported on the Canon
site, nor mentioned in the Vista compatibility page. Hmmm, maybe I want
a V700...

- Adaptec 2930 SCSI card - Vista driver on their site. Install was a bit
weird, seemed to have to install once, reboot, then install again, maybe
so the on board BIOS can load and make equipment connections. Anyway, it
works.

- Canon FS4000US film scanner - No hope for a driver from Canon on this,
but the generic driver that comes with VueScan loads and works just
fine. It doesn't appear in PS, and probably wouldn't in the Canon
software, which I never tried (don't think I even installed it (?)) on
XP. Works fine in VueScan, which gets up and goes on the new box, and
which is all I would use anyway.

- Wacom Graphire tablet driver from their site installed without a hitch
and seems to have added some new stuff.

- All the various USB, firewire and eSATA HDs in external enclosures
work without trouble.

Software:

I somehow had the impression that there might be some serious
compatibility problems, but have as yet encountered none.

- Photo stuff - PSCS2, VueScan, Qimage, JAlbum, Fastone, PTLens all
either loaded directly or had a Vista update on their site and run at
least fine. Mostly, they run a lot faster. :-)

Old stuff seems to work fine too:

- MS Office 97 installed and runs without a hitch. Even my favorite
toolbar from '97 works. I can't just drag programs/shortcuts onto the
toolbar anymore, but dragging a shortcut into it's shortcut subdirectory
works, so I'm happy. I don't understand why MS dropped it with later
versions of Office, but then, there are a lot of things about MS that I
don't understand. :-)

- I'm still using XTGOLD for DOS for some things. There are some things
it does that are infinitely easier than with more 'modern' file
managers, especially for working with programming. And I use it with
Kedit DOS linked as editor. It all installs and works fine, but the DOS
window is too small and can't be adjusted in the PIF. However, it turns
out that a size adjustment with a right click on the icon in the upper
left corner of the window then applies to future openings, so all is
well. I assume this is true for other old DOS apps.

- A number of other things of various ages, like Quicken 2005, Kedit Win
from years ago, and my software development apps, one version of which I
need to support old stuff and is on a CD from 1997, all load and run. I
did have to add a PATH entry for that one.

- Both Canon and Fuji have Vista versions of their various drivers and
software for my cameras. I've installed the 5D driver, but none of the
rest yet. I'm pretty sure it will all work, probably better than the too
often updated versions on XP, ahich wer getting flaky.

So far, although it is all too time consuming to do it right and start
by installing everything fresh, I've run into hardly any software issues
at all and.nothing that couldn't be resolved without any great
difficulty with hardware/drivers. That's assuming HP are big boys and
girls and finish up that LJ1000 driver.

Moose