[OM] Re: OT Notes on Upgrading - III- Compatibility

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Notes on Upgrading - III- Compatibility
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2007 13:37:30 -0700
Tom Scales wrote:
> Moose,
>
> I missed the beginning of your comments, but appreciate the level of detail.

Somebody besides me should gain some benefit from my "interesting"
experiences. ;-)
> I was a Vista user for a couple months and was forced back to XP because of
> my Epson 7600.  It's odd, because there IS a driver for Vista on Epson's
> site, but I could never get it to find the printer.  Weird.

Did you try uninstalling the old driver? Disconnect device. Uninstall
device in Device Manager. Install new driver. Connect device. Let Plug
and Play do it's thing.

Sometimes this works where updating the driver in Device Manager
doesn't. (Yes, now that you ask, "somebody" did mistakenly install an
old driver in my new Vista....)
> I'll get around to the upgrade again one of these days.

My basic theory is that one encounters less trouble by upgrading
hardware and software together, new box with new OS pre-installed. This
is the third time around, 98, XP and now Vista, and I'm convinced it's
the low trouble way to go. There was no compelling reason for me to go
to Vista at the moment, but it was time for an equipment upgrade, so I
did both at once. Just as with 95=>98, and 98=>XP, I'm pretty sure an
eventual OS upgrade would have been necessary. I actually could have
ordered with XP installed and a Vista upgrade CD, but that just sounded
like asking for more trouble to me.

Moose