[OM] Re: OT Notes on Upgrading - II - Disks - and a question

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Notes on Upgrading - II - Disks - and a question
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2007 06:56:59 -0400
RAID is protection against electrical or mechanical failure of the
drive.  But I think it's much more likely that you'll have a software or
virus related failure and the RAID solution simply guarantees that
you'll propagate the problem (which could include deletion or corruption
of lots of data) to both copies.

What I've been doing for the last couple of years is making a boot disk
  clone in an external USB enclosure using the Seagate software that's
designed to replicate the drive for a size upgrade.  I use the Seagate
software since (unlike the Western Digital version) it's only slightly
fussy about the brand of the destination drive and can be fooled into
writing to a USB drive which it normally doesn't want to do.  Once a
bootable drive has been created it can then be maintained by normal
backup software to keep it current.  But I don't try to keep it really
current.  I only back it up periodically and when I'm reasonably sure
that the system seems stable.  I really have no idea what normal backup
software might or might not be doing relative to the registry so perhaps
there's a big hole in this methodology but I also sometimes re-run the
Seagate utility and recreate the entire boot drive from scratch.

I also backup more frequently to other drives which are just data drives
and are not required to be bootable.  Between the two methods I think
I'm reasonably well protected but I'd be interested in hearing if
there's a big hole in my thinking or a much easier way to do it.

Now that I have the new fire breathing core duo machine I need to change
from USB to eSATA so I was interested in your comments there.  I read a
review of a Seagate 500GB eSATA drive which stated that the drive came
with a PCI SATA card which had external connectors.  I wasn't aware of
the jumpers from motherboard to expansion slot header so I'll have to
check the motherboard to see if there's an SATA socket or two available.

Chuck Norcutt