[OM] Re: Point and shoot

Subject: [OM] Re: Point and shoot
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 21:55:05 -0300

> You've got some great portraits in there.
>
> Chuck Norcutt

Thanks Chuck. Some of the pictures are special to me for the memories, if
not necessarily for the picture quality. Here is one of an older lady who
flagged us down as we were going along a road (picture a track in the
fields, not a real road). We had been to a nearby village the day before,
and given out about 350 radios to the folks, some of whom had probably
walked two or three days to receive one. The next day, a few miles out of
the village, this lady and her friend tried to flag us down as we passed by.
We oftentimes drive by these folks, as often they are asking for a ride to
the next village, and it is just not possible or practical to give them all
rides. Anyways, we had to stop just beyond them, and they came running up to
meet us. It turned out that this lady wanted a radio, but apparently was
unable to walk the distance to recieve one where we had scheduled to pass
them out. I remembered that I still had an extra one in my backpack, so I
was able to give her one. She agreed, a bit hesitantly, to have her picture
taken.
http://pastway.smugmug.com/gallery/2789786#152342882
Her face is pretty shaded, but it can be seen a bit better a full size.

We also found another radio for the young fellow with her, probably her son
or grandson.
http://pastway.smugmug.com/gallery/2789786#152175352
I was glad afterwards that we did not miss the chance to give them these
little gifts.

Wayne