[OM] Re: Point and shoot

Subject: [OM] Re: Point and shoot
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 12:31:24 -0700
Bill Pearce wrote:
>> F30, just not an Oly. Really.
>>
> For once I have to strongly disagree with Moose. Strongly. As an owner of an
> F30, I can assure you that if you think yours is a replacement for the XA,
> you need to have a dementia check, as senility is afoot.
LOL Could be, could be.
> The shutter lag is, like most digital cameras, inexcusable. The lack of a vf
> is also
> inexcusable, since there's no stabilization to offset the fact that the
> camera is held at arm's length.
>
> Sure it produces some good results, particularly in low light, but I have an
> XA too, and it's no XA.

Different strokes, Bill.

I had been looking for the perfect 35 mm pocket camera for years,
rejecting many, many candidates, and bought an XA shortly after it came
out. I currently have two XAs, and consider the F30 the digicam
equivalent - for me.

Do you have the high speed focus option set in the menu? I have no idea
how it is without that setting, as I have never used it that way. Still
has enormous battery life.

I find total shutter lag much less on the F30 than the XA - when RF
manual focus is included.   :-)     Actually, I find the F30 shutter lag
not to be an issue for me at all, seems instant to me - especially when,
as with the XA, it is prefocused (with a half press).

But you should understand I have never liked RF focusing. The XA has
been tolerated, even loved, in spite of that compromise to get it's
other sterling qualities.

As to LCD vs. viewfinder, our tastes simply differ again. I LIKE a good
LCD. I like the view, the 100% framing accuracy and the plethora of info
available. The F10 was occasionally troublesome, as there were direct
sun situations where the LCD was simply not visible without the
assistance of a hat in one hand or some such. The brighter (adjustable)
LCD with AR coating of the F30 fixed that problem. There are still a few
situations where it is hard to see clearly, but not impossible. And I,
personally, don't have a problem with holding a camera steady while
using the LCD, but I don't have to hold it at arm's length.

One man's digi XA is another man's poison?

Moose