[OM] Re: Power source for T28 modelling lights

Subject: [OM] Re: Power source for T28 modelling lights
From: Frank van Lindert <Frank.van@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2007 14:29:02 +0200
Andrew,

>The AC Adapter 3 is rated at 6V 3A. I have a 500mA DC supply that
>I have used to verify that all the lights operate correctly, but
>I'd be reluctant to use it for any length of time given the
>rating of the Olympus unit.

I think that you cannot harm your T28 modelling lights when the
current is too low; perhaps the DC supply could be damaged but I
wouldn't be afraid of that either. So if the light is sufficient, I
would keep using it.

>So my question: does anyone have information about the actual
>current draw of these lights? I can buy a 3A multi-voltage supply
>for $A75, which is expensive enough to warrant looking at the
>alternatives, such as trying to get along with a 1 or 2A supply.

I have just measured the current through a macro flash head with eight
lightbulbs (in my case the T10, but the set of lights is equal to that
of one T28 head) connected to a 6V PowerPack 2. The current was 1.1A.
So the twin T28 will take about 2.2A.
Light bulbs will take 0.15A each (or 0.9W at 6V).

>Of course, I could look for an Adapter 3, but a search on you know
>where doesn't come up with anything anywhere in the last few months,
>especially in 240V version (although I suspect the 220V version
>would be OK for this purpose).

The adapter 3 is indeed rare, as it wasn't sold in some parts of the
world at all. But you can use ANY 6 or even 5V source with roughly 2A
for powering a twin T28 flash, including (rechargeable) batteries.
I guess they do come for much less than the $A75 you are mentioning
when you are looking for 2nd hand.

Good luck,

Frank van Lindert
Utrecht NL.