[OM] Re: OT: a few Mac questions

Subject: [OM] Re: OT: a few Mac questions
From: Dan Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2007 22:06:57 -0600
Winsor Crosby wrote:
> It is hard for me to understand the logic of doing a bash on a Mac
> with problems so unusual as to border on the bizarre in the
> experience of most Mac users and bringing them to a mostly PC using
> camera list and asking for help.

  That's the thing -- fundamentally, I'm doing one thing here:

  1. Copying files from a USB reader onto the Mac.

  First problem is that Finder locks up; so I try to deal with Finder
crashing, and I hit problems with the interaction between the BSD layer
and the UI layer; then I try and work out how to deal with things just
at the BSD layer and I hit problems with the filesystem layer, etc.

  I'm not trying to "bash Macs". When they work the way they claim they
should, they're great -- I'm just surprised at how many basic things
simply don't work right as often as they should, and how difficult it is
to fix them when they go wrong.

  As for why am I asking here? Well, it's not as if off-topic things are
unusual, and I've seen people who know about Mac stuff posting here. I
could post to cocoa-dev or something, I suppose [1], but this isn't a
developer problem, it's a user problem, and (yes, I'll admit I'm lazy)
after googling for 10 minutes I gave up and asked where I hoped people
would have the answer.

  -- dan

[1] Now, to be fair to apple, when there are genuine bugs in the OS,
their developer support team does get in touch with people to fix them
-- theoretically the problem with QDGetCursorData I found is fixed in
10.5, and if they'd just kept the format of partition tables consistent
between that and Intel 10.4 machines, I'd have been able to verify that
one from the latest OS dump, but work doesn't have enough firewire
enclosures handy for me to have had the time to install the latest OS
dump to verify it.