[OM] Re: OT: a few Mac questions

Subject: [OM] Re: OT: a few Mac questions
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2007 20:00:16 -0700
I must be the luckiest Mac user in the world then. Sure Macs have
their problems, but I am unaware of claims of no problems except for
some the occasional pumped up idiot. To generalize that to all Mac
users is not any smarter than someone who says all PCs are crap
because of a bad experience with a cheap Dell.

In about 15 years of using Macs I have been able to operate on my own
never having used a computer and without a high paid tech and never
taking training.  I have never had to reinstall all the software to
solve a problem. In three years of using a Windows machine at work my
software was reinstalled 6 times by techs who could not solve the
software problems any other way, losing many essential files in the
process. I became familiar with weekly occurrences of the blue screen
of death.  Of course you would cut some slack for some company that
was doing innovative things, but that is not the case. Apple managed
to innovate and to make a system that even an idiot like me could
fix. Since OSX I have lost that skill because it is not needed.

A list here. Thank Apple for the form and look of your PC and maybe
cut Apple some slack because they are building in the features that
will be adopted in the future by MS and your PC maker.

http://www.mackido.com/Innovation/

It is hard for me to understand the logic of doing a bash on a Mac
with problems so unusual as to border on the bizarre in the
experience of most Mac users and bringing them to a mostly PC using
camera list and asking for help. The PC users don't know and the good
will of the Mac users is growing thin with the bashing. There are
useful Mac help sites including Apple's own site. There are good
books you can read. You get a 1 year warrantee with 3 months of free
telephone support from Apple which is excellent and based in the US.
You can buy an extension on that warranty to 3 years which also
extends the free telephone support to the same 3 year period.

I suspect if there is a problem moving something someone has been
tinkering with Terminal and made some huge errors in the process.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA