[OM] Re: OT: a few Mac questions

Subject: [OM] Re: OT: a few Mac questions
From: Andrew L Wendelborn <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2007 21:35:29 +0930
A couple of comments. Firstly, AFAIK there is no way to remove a single
file from the trash (except as has been said by using "rm" from a shell).
However, it is possible to stop a file from being deleted as the trash
is being emptied. That can be done by "locking" the file: press cmd-I,
and tick the "locked" box. Finder will whinge a bit while emptying trash, but
just keep pressing "continue". As has been said, it's better to put the
stuff that you might want to delete in a temp folder until you're sure.

Secondly, installing the Gimp is pretty easy these days. Just go to
http://gimp-app.sourceforge.net/, download the dmg file, make sure X11
is installed from system discs, and run the installer. Just did it in fact,
setting up a new Macbook Pro. GraphicConverter is excellent, but no longer
comes free with the standard software.

Have very rarely had a problem with USB drives. I transfer files a lot
between Mac and PC systems this way, just drag and drop.

I have had the occasional application which will not respond to "force
quit" (my VPN client is one of them). A shell "kill -9" seems to be the
only way. Annoying, but fortunately infrequent.

As a long time Mac user (there's a Powerbook 170 hiding in a cupboard
somewhere in the house :) ), I'm still pretty happy with how it works.
Most of what you want just happens, and it's flexible enough to customize
what doesn't.

regards
   Andrew