[OM] Re: Vietnam tourist camera advice

Subject: [OM] Re: Vietnam tourist camera advice
From: r.burnette@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 15:28:17 -0400
Chuck:

My oldest son is a missionary in Cambodia, located a few miles from Phnom Penh.
In a recent email he remarked about how much trouble he is having with his
Olympus C-5060 WZ because of the humidity. He said that after a few minutes
outside, the camera occasionally refuses to function or functions erratically.
It works fine in the house, but after a few minutes outside it goes bonkers. He
has tried keeping it covered until just before use, but nothing seems to help.
Rainy season is still a few weeks off and yet the humidity is really bad. He
has ordered an underwater case for the C-5060 (he is also a scuba enthusiast)
in the hope that it will help him prevent the problem. Obviously, that is an
inconvenient solution for routine use.

If you decide not to go with an OM-1 and film (digital is more convenient than
film), my suggestion would be one of the small digital Olympus cameras
(naturally <g>) sealed against water, dust, etc...for example, something like
the 600. The new underwater pocket digital announced at PMA might be a great
camera for a trip over there, but at a cost of near $400. I realize that's a
lot more than you anticipated spending, but at any cost a camera that fails is
a camera one might as well have left at home. As for taking two similar
inexpensive digital cameras, if both have the same vulnerabilities, that could
merely mean having two cameras go belly up rather than one. I'm not familiar
with the camera mentioned, so it might be fine. But, if not....    Just my two
cents. YMMV.

Robert