[OM] Re: Vietnam tourist camera advice

Subject: [OM] Re: Vietnam tourist camera advice
From: Dan Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 12:02:02 -0600
> The question is:  What to take for photo gear?
>
> John is a true photo novice.

  In that case, unless he's planning on learning photography between now
and the trip, much as I'd like to recommend an OM, there's too many
chances for things to go wrong that way.

  Digital has the advantage that a:it's probably more easily all
automatic, and b:he can see if things aren't working out.

  Alternatively, a Stylus Epic would be a good way to use film and still
have reliable photo-taking equipment; they're splashproof and idiot-proof..

> I was concerned about the battery and backup
> requirements.

  Unless he's really going to the back of beyond, there's Internet cafes
in Vietnam -- there were a few years ago when I was there, and I'd
assume there'll be more now than there were then, so he has the option
of uploading images if needs be.

> So, my current thinking is to equip him with the A70 he already owns and
> is reasonably familiar with. [snip]

  That'd be my recommendation, because a camera you know how to use is a
lot better than a camera you don't..

> OK, comments please.  Is this a good plan or should he be equipped with
> an indestructible OM-1, a modest zoom, a Vivitar 550-FD and a bunch of
> film... and a whole lot of instruction from me before he leaves in about
> 8 months?

  I'd skip (external) flash -- it's one more thing to worry about, and I
didn't miss it the whole time I was travelling around. Flash (in the
hands of a non-expert) is useful for interior shots of people and not
much else; lighting up the inside of a temple isn't going to happen, if
you're even allowed to use flash.

  I _would_ strongly suggest a small tripod, though, to help out in the
gloom; I really like the ultrapod, it's very compact, sturdy enough to
hold up pocket-sized cameras, and can be strapped to things in awkward
situations. I've also got a small gorillapod, which is differently
useful; that would make more sense if he's in the jungle or somewhere
with only uneven surfaces to put the camera on.

  -- dan