[OM] Re: Salt in the wound [Was Re: (OM) OT XP thoughts]

Subject: [OM] Re: Salt in the wound [Was Re: (OM) OT XP thoughts]
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 21:10:35 -0700
> From: Dan Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
>
> All the Mac will tell me is
> "couldn't connect", but why it can't connect is impossible to detect.

Do you know how to look at system logs and use networking utilities?

>   When Mac's work, great. When they don't, you're stuffed.

I agree, to a point, but I also think this is a Windows-user's
perspective. You've HAD to learn a bunch of low-level stuff about
Windows just to keep it working. When the Mac has a problem, you
assume that low-level access isn't available.

Between system logs and command-line utilities like netstat(1) and
ifconfig(8), I find it much simpler to keep a Mac working on a
wireless network than a PC. But mostly I've had to do wireless
debugging with those tools when a PC user couldn't use our wireless
network.

Also, is there any special reason you're using WEP? Is it something
your employer requires? It slows down the network, and you get most
of the "security via obscurity" that you get from WEP by simply
restricting wireless access via MAC address.

:::: Science uses mathematics to predict the future; economics uses
statistics to predict the past. -- Jeff Barton
:::: Jan Steinman <http://www.VeggieVanGogh.com>