[OM] Re: OT Outrageous CD price!

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Outrageous CD price!
From: "Sandy Harris" <sandyinchina@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 11:57:36 +0800
Walt Wayman <hiwayman@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Holy cow! .... #37.98 for one "f***ing CD is a bit too much.

I'm in China. CDs and DVDs -- music, movies, software, ... -- are of
course mostly unauthorised "pirate" copies. Typical price is $ 1 US.
Selection sucks, though. If you want anything other than a Chinese
version of Windows, Office & Photoshop plus lots of the Backstreet
Boys, Eagles and Carpenters, rough luck. Quality sucks, too.

On the other hand, places like bookstores and department stores
have better quality stuff, apparently real. Those sell for about $3
a disk. Roughly similar prices for real disks are used in India,
Thailand, etc. I think that means the record and movie companies
can make a profit at those prices.

However, they only sell at those prices when they have "pirates"
(no ships, cutlasses, etc., but the Industry still calls them that)
to compete with. Arggh, matey, and hooray for pirates, sez I !