[OM] Re: Bob Gries WAS Re: Previous Fun Times on this List

Subject: [OM] Re: Bob Gries WAS Re: Previous Fun Times on this List
From: "Scott Peden" <scotpeden@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 08:50:40 -0800
Accent?

Some of the less educated people I have had to deal with in my life claimed
they didn't have a accent. I've just never let go of the phraseology......

My Great Grandmother and grand father from the other side of the family took
care of me as a child so my folks could work and since they were born and
raised in western Scotland I had a mix of their accents, I was sent home
from Kindergarten cause they only allowed kids in school who spoke English
(my elders didn't teach me Gaelic and only one of them spoke that anyway)
and they went and raised hell at the school. Since I was born in Minnesota,
I had to relearn English with a Norwegian accent, you betcha..... then we
moved to the Mountains of Western Washington, and the kids there just kept
pounding on ya till you didn't sound funny anymore, and when we moved from
there the 2 years before I left Home we were south of Seattle. I could pick
out accents from all the small towns around where I had lived before, but
the cities were so homogenous, but I could tell people from Seattle,
Vancouver Canada or Washington apart and even the people who, in the 1960's
lived only 40 miles north of Seattle, sounded different.

Every area has it's won accent, every people within their own districts have
their own accents, I still laugh at the rednecks that claimed they had no
accent, damn, but they were loud for not having any accents.

So Ca is such a hodge  podge of immigrants and I though it was crowded in
1972, the dialects just keep a coming. I've worked in shops where the
Mexicans couldn't understand each other they were from so far apart in that
country their dialects were that strange to themselves.

Yeah I speak English, which dialect do you understand?!