[OM] Re: Obscene price of on camera flash

Subject: [OM] Re: Obscene price of on camera flash
From: "Jeff Keller" <jeffreyrkeller@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2007 22:15:49 -0800
Good evening Mike,

The 750/11 (120082823876) you found is a pretty odd beast. The 3.4
pounds must be getting close to the weight of the Vivitar S1 800/11
which is one of the solid cats. Trying to find out more about MEPRO
turned up ebay 270050815216 & 180013119279 which are a similar looking
500/8. The last one has some pretty good pictures. It looks like it
has built in ND filters or something (the control wheel is labeled
F=8. Hmmm .... I wonder if I need one of these  .... ?

Googling for MEPRO turns up a gun sight manufacturer, references to a
company making waveguide equipment in Japan, and the maker of epilady.

I'm sold on the radio strobes for what I'm doing. It's pretty
interesting that TTL flash doesn't seem to make very many people
happy. The newest version of the Quantum flash T5D-R that you pointed
out has some pretty interesting features. Being able to set ratios
between all of the flashes remotely could be pretty worthwhile with a
digital camera tethered to a good display ... studio work?  I looked
at the Metz flashes for awhile but the prices seemed high and I like
the round reflectors of the older Quantum flashes ... they can be
moved in and out providing some angle coverage adjustment or removed
providing bare bulb flash..

120081970439 is an Olympus 1.4X TC currently at about $45. These used
to sell pretty close to $300 but lately I've seen a few sell under
$200.

Best wishes,
-jeff