[OM] Re: Obscene price of on camera flash

Subject: [OM] Re: Obscene price of on camera flash
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 13:40:18 -0500
This will power four Alien Bee B800's (320 watt seconds each) with no
problem.  Just a couple of seconds to recycle all four lights from a
typical low power setting.  It weighs about 15-20 pounds and stands
about 15" tall.
<http://www.chucknorcutt.com/gear/Powerpack%20for%20Bees.jpg>

For greater portability you can use one or more of these
<http://www.chucknorcutt.com/gear/Umbrella%20adapter%20mounted%20on%20tripod%20%232.jpg>
Just two T-32's on an umbrella bracket with a little piece of aluminum
bar stock and a couple of hot shoe adapters.  One is a T-20 auto
connector so it can be fired from an OM with TTL cables.  The other is
an ordinary PC connection.  A short TTL cable joins the two so they fire
in sync or else you can put an optical slave shoe under one of them
facing into the umbrella.  Here's a view of the bracket details
<http://www.chucknorcutt.com/gear/Homemade%20bracket%20&%20various%20hotshoe%20adapters.jpg>

You can travel very light if you don't mind a 10-15 second recycle time
or you can hook up one of these Quantum turbo compatible battery things
with a Quantum Y cable to power both flashes from one power pack.
Recycle time with both flashes doing a full dump is about 3 seconds.
<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=Search&A=details&Q=&sku=294330&is=REG&addedTroughType=search>

Chuck Norcutt