[OM] Re: Obscene price of on camera flash

Subject: [OM] Re: Obscene price of on camera flash
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 09:22:15 -0800 (PST)
Dr Flash wrote:
> Are you implying that wedding photographers are not pro's? :-)

I've been called worse.

> also used only in manual mode.  I don't know why he spent the money
> for a 580EX only to use it in manual mode.  Maybe just because the
> manual power control dial is easy to use.

Doesn't the 580EX have a really fast recycle-time and the ability to
do several full-power dumps in a row?

> I guess I should point out that there are never less than two
> lights but sometimes the sun counts as one of them.

As I'm usually working alone, I tend to just use a single on-camera
flash.  Well, if you can call a Stroboframe mounted, Ultrabounce clad
285HV an on-camera flash.  However, as a general rule, I do try to
keep my ambient light floor up a bit higher to avoid "cave-dweller"
weddings.

The formals are done with a studio strobe and umbrella with on-camera
flash, though.  I prefer to use on-camera flash even during the
formals as it adds a little sparkle to the eyes and reduces any
shadows under the nose, eyebrows and chin.  It adds a tiny bit of
life to the wedding dresses, too.  To get around the power situation
I'm now dragging a UPS around with me and plugging the studio strobe
into that.  This way, I don't need to run 100' of orange cord around
the church.  I'd like to replace this with a portable flash/battery
setup with two lightstands/umbrellas.  To do it well, I'd need to run
dual 283/285 flashes (or equivelent) in each umbrella as well as a
couple extra back lights for hairlighting and background fill.  For
the reception, I would like to shoot those onto the ceiling.

We like to trashtalk that which is most common:  Microsoft, Canon,
McDonalds and Vivitar.  But they are common for a good reason.  It's
a shame that Vivitar never updated the 283/285 series and kept it
going.

Thanks to the DDC methodology, I'm able to ignore having to spend
money on a new camera this spring and can instead shove money towards
more lighting gear.  I *SHOULD* get some more studio lights, but I
really like having portable, battery-powered gear.  It gives me a lot
more options in placement (by using Bogen clamps, for example) and
also gives me the ability to get creative in on-location photography.
 If I do get a wad of Vivitars, I'll also get a couple of filter sets
too.  I love doing colored lights for effect.  Vivitars take up a
whole lot less space that studio strobes too--I can stuff a dozen of
them in a large camera bag complete with accessories.

Last season was supposed to be my last year doing weddings.  Well, at
this point, I'm now booking for the 2007 season.  It's a little slow
so far--I raised my prices quite a bit and I'm now on the north-side
of most people's comfort zone in this area.

AG