[OM] Re: Something I hate to admit in public...

Subject: [OM] Re: Something I hate to admit in public...
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2007 21:54:23 -0500
Here's something that will give you the time most of the time.

Get out your flash meter.  Without reference to the manufacturer's lies
about guide number, measure the output at 11 feet (or any distance of
your choice).  To pick a number, let's say the result is f/8 at ISO 100
for a true guide number of 88 feet.  Now, whenever you need to do a
quick flash shot you set the lens at f/8 and position yourself 11 feet
from the subject.  Then zoom your zoom lens for the proper framing
instead of zooming with your feet.  Proper exposure 100% of the time
assuming you get reasonably adept at guessing how far is 11 feet.

But why 11 feet you say?  Yes, there is method to the madness.  Does 11
sound like an f/stop?  Should you be suddenly forced to choose something
closer or further you might recognize that, if 11 sounds like an f/stop
then perhaps 8 feet and 16 feet will sound like f/stops too.  If you
must be closer then make it 8 feet instead of 11 and close down one
stop.  If you must be further then make it 16 feet and open up one stop.

Those of a metric persuasion might play the same game with 4 meters as a
baseline and use options of 2.8 meters and 5.6 meters on either side of
4.  Or, choose whatever base distance value you like and determine the
other distances as (base / 1.4) or (base x 1.4).

Tape a little "cheat sheet" to the back of your flash.

Chuck Norcutt